Well, looks like it’s that time of the year again!
I’m Diana, and I will be entering PitchWars with a YA Dark Fantasy manuscript called A Trace of Madness. It has mind witches, shadow people, weird nymps and crazy friends with questionable intentions. It’s the fourth novel child I’ve birthed and it’s, so far, my favorite! (yes, I know, I say this about my latest book every time, but it’s true!)
So here, have some facts about me:
Let’s try again.
1. I have the best pets ever. One’s a Persian cat called Sushi, and she’s kind enough to let me live in her house; then there’s Jubas, my super-cuddly, kissy-face, all-around sweetheart Maine Coon cross (we think). Finally, there’s Norbert (aka Norby, aka Bubba), the One Dragon to rule them all, whose favorite activities include being awesome and playing video games with me.
2. I have a degree in Computer Engineering and am halfway through my Master’s in Video Games. I also work part-time at a serious game start-up (as in, games for educational purposes, not the other kind of serious games), and it’s seriously the best job ever because I get to drink lemon beer at five in the afternoon and I can bring Norbert to the office once in a while.
3. I’m from Portugal, and although I’m seriously considering changing countries, I probably never will because our food is delicious and our weather is seriously good.
4. I once met Ray Muzyka, Warren Spector, Jason Gregory and spent the entire time fangirling over games. I may have embarrassed myself thoroughly, especially since, in the case of Warren Spector, a bunch of us were having dinner and I was maaaybeee slightlyyyyy drunk. #noregrets
5. I also met one of my favorite authors once (Juliet Marillier) and we went shopping for dog clothes. Again, I probably also embarrassed myself there.
6. I’ve made some games, some of which are available in my portfolio.
7. I also draw and paint a lot (or used to, before my hand decided to crap out on me). Mostly portraits, but, you know, I sometimes do other stuff for the sake of variety. All this because my 8th grade art teacher told me I’d never be good at drawing (so did my mom). I decided to prove them wrong and started practising. I now earn money painting things—HA!
8. I have three tattoos: two are for 1984, one of my favorite books of all time. The other is for Planescape: Torment, my favorite game of all time.
9. Most of my closest friends came from a Tomb Raider forum dedicated to Kurtis Trent. Twelve years later, we’re still friends. In fact, two of them (my real life OTP) married recently, and I got to fulfill my lifelong dream of being the ring bearer for their wedding. AT 26. THIS PROVES IT’S NEVER TOO LATE!
10. In case it’s not obvious, I’m a video game junkie, something that still leaves my mother livid. Some of my favorite games (aside from Planescape) are: Ocarina of Time, Pillars of Eternity, The Longest Journey, The Witcher trilogy, Transistor, the Mass Effect trilogy, the Baldur’s Gate saga, Dragon Age: Origins, Grim Fandango, the Saints Row series, Final Fantasy VI, the Ace Attorney series, Silent Hill 2, Shadow of the Colossus, Baten Kaitos, Resident Evil (mostly from 1 to 4), Deadly Premonition, Bayonetta AND I’D BETTER STOP NOW
11. I love, love, LOVE a youtube series called The Most Popular Girls in School. It’s Barbie dolls cursing a lot, stop-motion animated and it’s brilliant. I quote it a lot, especially the most pertinent question of our generation: “What the #$%& is the Wifi password?”
12. Some of my favorite authors are: George Orwell, Juliet Marillier, Rae Carson, Susan Dennard, Sara J Maas, Philip K Dick, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Glenda Larke, Jacqueline Carey, Marianne de Pierres, Tolkien, JK Rowling, Anne Bishop, Garth Nix, Chris Wooding and Kristin Cashore.
13. My English is mostly self-taught. At 12, I played Ocarina of Time with a dictionary beside me, and it did wonders. At 13, I wrote dreadful fanfic with tons of errors, but the writing practice helped me improve. Then, at 15, I realized I could read books “earlier” if I read them in English and do you really think I was going to wait another two months before reading Order of the Phoenix? NO. WAY.
14. From 5 to 19, I played roller hockey at a competitive level. I quit because, college, and I still miss it after 7 years.
15. I LOVE traveling, but I’m also TERRIFIED of flying. It’s incredibly inconvenient, but I try to push through it because I like to see new things and meet new people. Also, someone’s cast a curse on me and whenever I go abroad, I come back sick. Went to NYC, came back with a stomach flu. Went to the Netherlands in August, got a crippling cold. Went to Croatia, got heat exhaustion on a boat that knocked me down flat. Went to England, came back with tonsillitis. I can’t wait to see what Las Vegas has for me next year.
16. Some of my favorite TV shows are: Parks and Recreation, Community, Arrested Development, Battlestar Galactica, Breaking Bad, House of Cards, Sense8, Malcolm in the Middle, Hannibal, Killjoys, Modern Family, Shameless (both UK and US versions!), Veep, The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, 30 Rock, Children’s Hospital, Twin Peaks, and, like with games, I’m going to stop now.
17. My favorite kind of movie is the mindbending genre. Some of my favs (again!): Requiem for a Dream, eXistenz, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Shutter Island, The Man From Earth, Pi, Fight Club… – okay, basically anything you can find here: http://classreal.com/
18. I’m hard-working and versatile. Bribes to my possible (please pick me! MEEEEE!) mentor will include drawings, silly times with yours truly, enthusiasm, eternal love, geekery, and maybe some food. AND THAT IS ALL I’LL SAY!
Go to Christopher Keelty’s blog for more awesome #PitchWars mentee bios!
If you’re still in doubt, remember: my pets are the cutest.
(also, one’s a dragon. A DRAGON)